I’m from Out of Province. Can I Get Healthcare in Quebec?


I’m from Out of Province. Can I Get Healthcare in Quebec?

In Canada, each province has its own public health plan for people who live there. How do you access health services you have healthcare coverage from another province while you’re in Quebec? It depends on whether you’re here temporarily or permanently. There are also some special rules for students.

If you’re eligible for Non-Insured Health Benefits for First Nations and Inuit, you might have other options depending on your status. Contact your band council, health authority, or regional Health Canada office for more details. If not, this article can help!

Can I get treated or tested with out-of-province insurance?

Yes! Some clinics like the St. Mary’s Hospital Centre will accept people with out-of-province insurance for free. To get testing or treatment there, first, you need to get a hospital card from Pavilion E, Room 0014. Second, you can register without an appointment between 7:30-10:30 am, M-F. It’s first-come-first-serve. It helps to get there early!

Unfortunately, at most other clinics you need to pay upfront. When you pay, you can ask for a receipt. After your visit, you can submit forms to your home province to get reimbursed. Then mail or fax the receipt along with your completed forms. See the chart below for forms from some provinces. If your province isn’t listed, you might need to contact them yourself!

Different provinces have different rules for how long you can take to file your claim. For example, in British Columbia, you need to submit a claim within 90 days, but in Alberta, you have 12 months. Claims that are not submitted on time can get rejected.

Keep in mind that your home province might not cover everything that you would be eligible for through Quebec’s insurance, Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec or “RAMQ”. You can check with your home province’s health insurance to be sure. For instance, ambulances are often not covered while you’re out of province even when they would be in the province. That means your insurance might not pay you back for some services. Check first if you can!

I’m just visiting!

If you’re in Quebec temporarily, you’re probably still covered by health insurance in your home province. So, you’ll still have that insurance until you’re out of that province for more than a certain number of days per year. The number of days varies by province. This means that you’ll need to pay upfront and get reimbursed by your home province.

Some provinces recommend getting additional traveller’s insurance when leaving the province, for any length of time.

I’m an international student!

At McGill and Concordia, international students automatically get Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance through the school. Unless you’ve opted out of this, you’re covered!

With this insurance, you can go to the clinic at your school and get things like a doctor‘s visit or test free. For things like vaccines, prescriptions, and any services off-campus, you’ll need to pay upfront, keep receipts, fill out some forms, and send them to Blue Cross. They’ll reimburse you for what they cover within a few months.

I’m an out-of-province student!

As a student, you’ll be in the province off and on for a few years. You can choose which province’s insurance you want to use. You can submit proof of your “student status” to your home province. That way, you won’t lose your coverage there. Or, you can apply for RAMQ if you plan to stay in Quebec after you graduate.

If you want to apply for RAMQ, see the next section. But, if you still want coverage in your home province, most provinces need you to let them know that you’re studying out of the province. See the chart below for any rules or forms your province has!

Luckily, most student health clinics will submit claim forms to your home province themselves. So you won’t have to pay upfront and deal with paperwork. If you need to go off-campus, you’ll probably need to pay upfront.

I’m moving to Quebec!

If you’re moving to Quebec, you’ll keep getting covered by your old home province for a short period. This period is usually about 3 months. You can apply for RAMQ as soon as you move.

First, you need to either call the Regie or visit an office of the Regie to get a registration form. Second, you need to fill out the application and attach proof of identity documents and proof of residence in Quebec. Depending on where you submit the form you might have to include photocopies of your documents or bring the originals with you. Here are more details about how to apply.

Out of Province claim guidelines for each province

ProvinceTo submit a claimIf you’re a student
AlbertaSubmit a reimbursement claim within 12 months of treatment to:
Alberta Health, Out-of-Country / Province Claims
P.O. Box 1360 Stn. Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3
Fax: 780-422-1958
Email: health.hcipaoopooc@gov.ab.ca
Include itemized statements, proof of payment, and a completed Claim Form for Out of Province Physician / Practitioner Services.
Contact Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan to continue to receive coverage.
British ColumbiaSubmit a reimbursement claim within 90 days of treatment to:
Medical Services Plan, Out-Of-Country Claims
PO Box 9480 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9E7
Include all original receipts and bills, including an itemized statement, and a completed Out-Of-Country Claim form.
Contact Health Insurance BC to confirm that you’re eligible for coverage while studying out of the province. You might have to provide documentation from your educational institution proving that you’re studying there.
ManitobaSubmit a reimbursement claim to:
Manitoba Health
300 Carleton Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 3M9
Fax: 204 772-2248
Include an itemized receipt and a completed Application for Out-Of-Province Health Benefits form.
Complete a Request for Benefits by Students Attending Out-Of-Province Educational Institutions, attach a proof of enrollment letter from your school, and mail it to Manitoba Health. You have to reapply for coverage every year.
New BrunswickSubmit a reimbursement claim to:
New Brunswick Medicare/Assurance Maladie du Nouveau-Brunswick
PO Box 5100
Fredericton, NB, E3B 5G8
Include an itemized statement and a completed Out-Of-Province Claim for Physician Services form.
Contact New Brunswick Medicare every year to continue receiving coverage while studying.
Newfoundland and LabradorSubmit a reimbursement claim to Medical Care Plan
PO Box 5000
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, A2A 2Y4
709 292-4053
Include an itemized statement and a completed Out-Of-Province Claim form
Complete an Application for Out of Province Coverage Certificate, attach a proof of enrollment letter from your school, and mail or fax it to the address on the left. You have to reapply for coverage every year.
Northwest TerritoriesSend the original copy of your receipt to:
Health Services Administration
Department of Health and Social Services
Bag #9, Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
Fax: 867 777-3197
Email: healthcarecard@gov.nt.ca
If you will be gone from the Northwest Territories for over 3 months, fill out a Temporary Absence Form and send it to the above address.
Contact Health Services Administration via one of the methods listed on the left to confirm your enrollment and submit a Temporary Absence Form.
Nova ScotiaContact Nova Scotia Health Authority for more information.Contact Nova Scotia Health Authority for more information.
NunavutContact the Nunavut Department of Health for more information.Contact the Nunavut Department of Health for more information.
OntarioSubmit a reimbursement claim within 12 months of treatment to your nearest ServiceOntario centre. This has to include an original itemized fee statement; proof of payment; and a completed Out-Of-Province/Country Claim Submission form with your name, Ontario address, and OHIP number.Provide proof of enrollment letter to your nearest ServiceOntario centre to continue receiving coverage while studying.
Prince Edward IslandContact Health PEI for more information.Contact Health PEI for more information.
SaskatchewanSubmit an itemized statement/receipt to:
Claims Analysis, Medical Services Branch, Ministry of Health
1st floor, 3475 Albert St. Regina, SK S4S 6X6
Fax: 306-798-1124
Complete an Extended Absence Notification Form, attach proof of enrollment in an accredited educational institution and mail it to:
eHealth Saskatchewan, Health Registries
2130-11th Avenue
Regina SK S4P 0J5
Fax: 306 787-8951
YukonIf you will be gone from Yukon for over 3 months, fill out a Temporary Absence form and send it to:
Insured Health Services, H-2, PO Box 2703, Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Fax: 867-393-6486
Email: yukon.healthcare@gov.yk.ca
or return it in-person go to:
4th Floor, Financial Plaza, 204 Lambert Street, Whitehorse, Yukon
This is where you can submit your claims as well.
Contact Health Services via one of the methods listed on the left to confirm your enrollment and submit a Temporary Absence Form. You need to reapply every year, and either return to Yukon once a year or submit a letter explaining why you aren’t returning.

More info

Head & Hands Clinic

VENDOME METRO Head & Hands has a health clinic for ages 12 – 25. It runs about twice a week based on an online schedule.…


About Quebec’s Info-Santé service: you can dial 8-1-1 from any Quebec phone number to reach a health professional. It offers answers to common health questions and directs…


Related FAQs

How to Store Condoms

Condoms are one of the most accessible and easiest ways to help lower the risk for pregnancy and STIs. You may already know how to…

What Are Some Common STI Symptoms?

STI stands for sexually transmitted infections. They can have lots of different symptoms, or none at all. If you have any symptoms, it’s a good…

Safer Sex: How Do I Talk About It?

Sometimes it can be hard to talk about safer sex, birth control, and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). But, being honest and upfront when talking to your…