There is no right or wrong way to masturbate, and there are tons of ways to do it! People can choose how they masturbate based on their moods, what feels good, what is possible with their bodies, and they like or want to try.
Body parts can have the same names or look similar to each other, but people can like touching them in very different ways! People can also have a lot of names for parts of their body, and we only used medical terms like penis and clitoris because the most people understand them.
No one can tell you how to masturbate, because only you can know what feels good for you and your body! It’s important to find what is best for yourself, and find what feels amazing for you. But, there are some common ways that people masturbate. You can try some of them to find what works for you!
Masturbating for people with penises:
- Using your hands to grasp and stroke the shaft of the penis, up and down. You can go slow or fast with more or less tightness, it depends what feels good for you.
- Adding lube can help it feel better, especially if you’re circumcised. You can find personal lubricants for sex and masturbation at a pharmacy in the condom isle. Or you can use spit!
- If you’re not comfortable buying lube and you want more than spit, you can try Vaseline, cooking oils, lotions, or moisturizers. We recommend not using these with condoms as they can cause tears in latex, but they will work for condom-free masturbation. Many of them can also toxic or cause infections if they go inside your body. Unless it’s clearly labeled as ok, we don’t recommend using them for anal play or anything else internal.
- You can add sex toys, like vibrators, cock rings, Fleshlights, masturbation sleeves, butt plugs, prostate simulators, or dildos.
- You can experiment with touching, rubbing, and tickling yourself in ways you enjoy, exploring how different parts of your body feel when they’re touched.
- Touching or brushing your testicles can feel good, since they’re sensitive
- The perineum (the skin between your scrotum and anus) can also be sensitive. You can try tickling, massages, pressure, and rubbing.
- Your anus is also full of nerve endings that you can enjoy, and you can explore the opening or the inside with clean sex toys or fingers.
- If you’re comfortable with it, the prostate or P-spot inside the anus is also very sensitive. You can find it by inserting a lubed finger and pushing up toward the belly in a “come hither” motion. Different toys are also made to touch the prostate in ways that feel good. Butt plugs, prostate simulators, or dildos are some of these.
People with clitorises and vaginas:
- Massaging parts of your clitoris, labia, and everything else outside the vagina with hands, fingers, knuckles, or palms. You can try varying speeds, pressures, or movements.
- Using sex toys, like vibrators or dildos, to massage parts of your vulva (everything outside the vagina).
- Rubbing or rocking your vulva against things like a pillow or the edge of a chair or bed.
- Moving fingers or sex toys inside your vagina or anus. Some people like touching their G-Spot. You can find it by moving your finger into your vagina or anus and pushing up toward the belly in a “come hither” motion.
- Using a vibrator or other toys on the clitoris, labia, thighs, perineum, or other areas that feel good for you.
- Using a bath faucet or shower-head for on your clitoris.
- Sitting on large vibrating objects, like a washing machine.
- Pressing and un-pressing your thighs together tightly.
Buying sex toys
If you’re under 18, you can still legally buy sex toys, but some shops won’t let you in. If you have a credit card and you’re comfortable getting a sex toy in the mail, you can order online. They usually come in unmarked packages, but you can look up how each site ships. Sites like Pinkcherry, Come as You Are, or Good for Her are some good options.
Learning what feels right to you is a good way to learn about your sexuality and what you enjoy. It’s also helpful for showing your partner how you like to be touched.
How do you masturbate? – Scarleteen
Scarleteen answer the question: “How do you masturbate?” for people with female bodies.
Masturbation (Benefits and Safety Suggestions)
Explains who masturbates and why, the benefits of masturbation and safety suggestions for masturbating.
Is Masturbation Healthy?
Information regarding the benefits of masturbation and how you can make sure you are being safe and sanitary when you masturbate.